
When we think of God blessing us, what do we think of? Often I think that God blessing us means that my life will go well. I think that I will ace the Biology test at school, God will cause all of my friendships to be strong and free of drama, I won't get sick, and God will give me "extras" in my life. I ask God for things, and when I receive them, only then is God blessing me. After all, that's "bestowing good upon me."
But here's what I have been learning lately. This past year of school, my freshman year, I have been really blessed. I take all the normal classes plus electives, I babysit, play sports, and have great friendships. But what happens when I flunk a Spanish quiz because I didn't have the time to study, or when I mess up an entire volleyball game, or when my friendships have crazy drama and some go down the tubes, or when serious trials spring up in my life? Has God stopped blessing me?
I have been reading a book by Larry Crabb called Shattered Dreams. The first chapter taught me a lot about the subject of God's blessings. I think in order to understand God's blessings, we need to go back to what is means to bless. "To bestow any kind of good upon." I am well aware that my definition of what is good for my life does not line up with God's. But is God really blessing me when my life still seems miserable?
Let's look at God's character for a moment. To quote the Larry Crabb, "There's never a moment in all our lives, from the day we trusted Christ until the day we see Him, when God is not longing to bless us. At every moment, in every circumstance, God is doing us good. He never stops. It gives Him too much pleasure. God is not waiting to bless us after our troubles end. He is blessing us right now, in and through those troubles. At this exact moment, He is giving us what He thinks is good."
Wow. Ever thought of that? God isn't up in Heaven thinking, "Oh, maybe it's time to bless Kristin now. It's been long enough." No. God is blessing me at every second. But the way I think and the way God thinks often times seem to collide. The way I often think is that if my life isn't going the way I planned, then God is not blessing me. But God gives me trials to make me stronger; that's doing me good. God is putting rough situations in my life to make me love and depend on Him more; that's doing me good. God shows me my sin and causes me to be grieved over it so that I can be free of it; that's doing me good.
When God is blessing me in ways that I don't feel are good, how is that making me stronger? Well, when God rips important things away from me, it's so that I will put my full heart into glorifying Him. When friends desert and betray me, God uses that to make me depend on Him more. When God shows me my sin, it's so that I can be free of it. All these things are for my good on this earth, as well as for eternity. Sometimes it's hard to receive God's blessings because I don't recognize them as blessings.
A song that has stuck out to me especially now is a song by Laura Story called "Blessings." (Seems to fit this topic, does it not? ;) ) "But what if Your blessings come through raindrops, what if Your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights is what it takes to know You're near? What if trial of this life, are Your mercies in disguise?" (You can listen to the full song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ) God's blessings are often in ways that are painful to us. God's blessings are to shape us into the model of His Son. God's blessings are to purify us and make us stronger, even if it seems that we are only getting weaker.
God is seeking to bless us in every circumstance. God is always bestowing good upon us. Even when a relative has a fatal disease? Even when people who are close to you hurt you? Even when you fail your finals? Even when you just feel lonely? Yes. After all, sometimes God's blessings come through pain.
9 comments:
Wow...some of that stuff I have never thought of before. Like, how God is always blessing us. Also, no matter what we are going through, remember to think, someone, somewhere is going through something harder. As hard as it is to think about sometimes, someone else is going through more pain, and more hurt.
God never lets anything happen to you, that he does not make it out for your good. Saten can't do anything to you, unless God lets him...And even then, Saten can't take any ground unless you give it to him.
Sometimes it seems like nothing can never get better better, that you will never get out of this rut-- but that's why God died for you. The nights are so long, and you don't think you can make it, but that's why he died.
Really good post! It makes me think of many ways I can be greatful. :]
-Nathan
Love it, Kristin (and love you =)! It is definitely hard to think of trials as blessings. That's where the trust in God and His promises are so important to keep us focused on glorifying Him through it. It really is good to know that His plan is perfect, even when it goes differently than what I would plan. I surely would mess it up -- I'm glad that His ways are so much better than my ways! Though we don't always understand the paths He leads us on, we do know that it is for our good as we lean on Him.
Keep up the great reminders =)
Wow. This is great! I've been singing that song all night! And the post was something that I really needed to read! Thank you for blessing me with this word. :) you're awesome!
All the best,
Britt
Kristin, it is a tremendous grace of God for you to be able to see the difficulties and pains of life so biblically. What you have shared about how God is always using the issues of our lives, for our good, and ultimately, to bless us - IS the very reason we can "count it all joy". It refreshes my heart to see God at work in your heart and life, and while I can not follow your blog all the time, everytime that I do, I am blessed and encouraged by you. Thank you so much for the wisdom today, and for your heart to encourage others in their walk with the Lord!
Love it little sister!!
I'm confused as to why blogspot deleted the previous five comments before I could reply to them. :( but for those of you who did comment-thank you! You encourage me :)
~Kris
Blogspot was doing updates...and so the post disappeared along with any comments. They were supposed to restore it all. But I guess it didn't work. My own blog did the same thing.
Kristin,
I have always known what a special and mature young lady you are, but I must say I am really impressed by the wisdom you exhibit here. I don't think most young people see the opportunities for growth in trials, but rather just want to get out of them as soon as possible. Probably true of most adults. When you are going through a trial, sometimes it is hard to see the blessings, right away, but in time, we realize how God has sustained us, helped us grow, and life has more meaning. Interestingly enough, I heard the song "Blessings" last night for the first time. Great message. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous: thank you :)
Brittany: Ohhh okay that makes sense. Thank you!
Mrs. Parker: Thank you! And the song "Blessings" is so good! The first time I heard it I liked it! God has a way of sending us messages when He knows we most need them, even if we don't realize we do! Thanks for your encouragement :)
Post a Comment