
Israel was constantly having problems with turning to idols. They would be put in bondage, they would repent, be rescued, have a short break, then go back to worshiping idols. Yet God commanded them to worship Him alone. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image.." (Exodus 20:3).We know what idols back then were--statues, structures made out of materials, etc.
Think about it like this: a blacksmith takes metals and hammers them together to make an object. Or a carpenter scrapes away at wood to make a table. Both of them take their left overs and build a small statue with it. Then they take the statue, put it on a stand so that it won't fall down, decorate it in silver and gold, and worship it. They pray to it to rescue them from various things and praise it daily. They say to it, "Deliver me, for you are my god."
Does this sound foolish to you? How could we ever compare man-made statues out of wood to God? Isaiah 41 talks about in seemingly a sarcastic way about comparing God to gods. "...they might at least choose wood that won’t decay and a skilled craftsman to carve an image that won’t fall down!" God was not made by any man--He is perfect and flawless. Idols are made by various scraps and materials and worshiped as though they are something great. God can hold all the water on the earth in just the crease of His hand. In fact, He made them all anyways! Idols are inanimate objects. All the power in Heaven and earth belongs to God. He is great and powerful. Idols need to be propped up so they won't fall over. God answers, responds and saves. What does God have to say about idols in Isaiah 47? "They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there; it cannot move from its place. If one cries to it, it does not answer or save him from his trouble..." God is everlasting and eternal. If not take care of with complete care, idols could mold and rust. And yet both are worshiped as though they are equal. See how foolish these idols of the Old Testament sound? I'm glad I'm not that foolish as to devote myself to something like that!!...
...Yeah, don't believe that for a second. I am that foolish. My guess is that most of you reading this are that foolish as well. Quite obviously I don't get up in the morning, kneel beside the little wooden statue that I have strategically placed, bow to it and call out help for the day. I don't ask a little figurine to heal sick people. And yet I skip my devotions at night to watch a favorite show or spend time on the computer. I become "too tired" to pray because I went to bed too late. I don't witness to others because I'm having fun hanging out with my friends. I don't tithe because then I won't have as much money for my shopping spree. I sit around doing nothing because I just feel like being lazy, rather than spending time with God. Some of these things only happen once in a while, but others happen nearly on a regular basis. How is devoting my time and energy to clothes, myself, sleep, and "nothingness" any less stupid than what Israel was doing? It's not. How could I possibly compare money to God? How could I ever think more highly of myself than God?
But it gets crazier than that! Some of the idols in my life look so ridiculous. And yet other idols no one would ever recognize as idols at first glance. Serving others can become an idol. What? Yes. If I devote all my time and energy into serving others and neglect my relationship with God, serving others becomes an idol because I am putting it in the place that God should be in.
Idols are pretty stupid not to mention wrong. Yet we all have them. Any time we put something above God, it becomes an idol. God commanded the Israelites to not worship other gods than Him, and He punished them when they fell astray from that. God's command remains the same: "Little children, keep yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21).When we put something in place of where God's place should be in our lives--whether it be sin, friends, ourselves, money, or good works--it's just like worshiping a log.
2 comments:
Hi Kristin,
I'm new at your blog, but I'm glad I found you! This post is exactly what I need to hear, and the Lord used you to encourage me through your writing. Thank you so much :)
Rachael
Hi Rachael!
Thanks for checking out my blog! I'm glad that God used this post to work in your life. This is something I constantly struggle with...as I'm sure many Christians do. Thanks for your encouragement!
~Kristin
Post a Comment