Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to School Clothes, Supplies...Goals?

As we are going back to school, what do we usually get in preparation for it? Back to school clothes, shoes, supplies, and crazy locker decorations. But what about...goals?

It's going to be my first year in highschool. Although I am in the same school, and not much is different, I want my highschool years to be different than all the other years. Last year, I went into eighth grade wanting to fit in with older people and wanting to be "cool." Honestly, that was sorta how it was in seventh grade too. I tried to keep my focus on serving God in Bible study and tried to be a good example...but I got distracted. I got off track by trying to follow my own desires and make my own fairytales come true. I wanted what I wanted, and nothing was going to stop me from getting it. Rules didn't hold me back, and I ignored my conscience. I just told myself, "I want to be happy, and this makes me happy." I lost my focus so many times, and I wasted a whole year pursuing what I wanted. A whole year that I could've spent growing in the Lord, being a good example, and being shaped more like Christ. But I didn't. I didn't think it was a waste at the time, but now I know it is.

Remember how I say, "Only what is done for Christ will last"? That's a fairly popular quote, but I don't remember where I heard it first. But think about it. Everything else is meaningless. We are only in this world for a little bit of time. After that, it is eternity. The only thing that matters in this life, is what we will do for Christ. Ecclesiastes 1:2 says "'Meaningless! Meaningless!' says the Teacher. 'Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.'" but then he goes on to say in Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." This year, I am going into highschool with all new goals in mind. I don't want to be lost in the drama of high school. I am going to follow God's will and desires in my life instead of my own. I will focus on glorifying Him more than anything. I will be a good example for the younger kids, which include my siblings. I will love the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind. Will I be perfect at these? No. Will I fail a lot? Yes. Will I loose my focus at least a few times? Most likely. But if I go into school with some things to reach for, than I will better be able to focus on the important things, and not get lost in my own desires and pursuits.

I need to be preparing to try to reach my goals. The next weeks before school need to be spent praying and getting wisdom from the Word of God.

How about you? What are your goals for this next year? Maybe you are done with school, entering a new school, or just a new grade. How do you want to spend this next year? Please share! I'd love to hear what you think! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment