Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Heart Bone Connects to the Footbone

I am currently reading a book called Girls Gone Wise by Mary Kassian. In one chapter, it has the phrase "The heart bone is connected to the foot bone." On my Facebook, I asked people what they thought it meant. Some said, "You love soccer?" Or another one said, "You love walking with Jesus?" Haha both really good tries seeing that both are true, but not exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't really have anything to do with what I love. (It does but it doesn't. You'll see what I mean.) Let's first look at a couple of things the Bible has to say.


Deuteronomy 11:22- "For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him."


Joshua 22:5- "But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law... to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul."


Matthew 22:37- "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."


God gives two very important commands all over in the Bible.

(1.) Love Me with your heart.

(2.) Follow me with your feet.


After all, the most important command God gave us is to love Him with our whole hearts. Then we are to "walk in His ways"; or follow Him. This is where the heart-foot connection kicks in. What we love, and what we have in our hearts, is what is going to come out. Garbage in garbage out. You reap what you sow. We've been through this before. If we are truly loving Christ with our hearts, we will follow what He says and seek to do His will in everything. Not because we have to, but because we want to. Jesus told us that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments. (John 14:15) It makes sense. If we love something, we are going to pursue it.

I have to ask myself something. I say I love the Lord with my whole heart, but is it obvious that I do in the way I live my life? What does my life show that I am pursuing? Where are my feet usually running toward? Ask yourself these questions and examine your own life! Unfortunately, quite often my heart isn't where it should be. I let it wander out into the world or focus it on what I want rather than what God wants. But God is forgiving and merciful and always gives me another chance. (Don't you just love that about God?)

Bottom Line: If Christ is the center of your heart, than it will be evident in the way you live, in the way you talk, in the way you act. Therefore, the heart bone is connected to the foot bone. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment