Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

S.O.S., Crazy Statistics, and Making a Difference

Let me introduce you to four girls named Brianna, Claire, Morgan, and Kristie. They are four girls that are passionate for God and trying to make a difference in this world. They pray passionately, spread the word, reach out to girls, and do giant fundraisers to help stop human trafficking. They pray for girls and help raise money to support those who have been forced into the sex-trade. They are making a huge difference in this world. And they are all only fourteen.

These girls, who started the "Save our Sisters" organization, really have their priorities straight. They are focusing on the right things, even though they are only freshmen. Let me give you some statistics I found off their website, so you can have a better understanding of why they are doing what they are doing.

*1.2 million chirldren are being trafficked every year; this is in addition to the millions already

held captive by trafficking.

*Every 2 minutes a child is being prepared for sexual exploitation.

*approximately 30 million children have lost their childhood through sexual exploitation over the past 30 years

*By 2010 human trafficking will be the second largest crime worldwide.

I hope these aren't just numbers to you. Take even just one girl of these millions. One lonely, hurting girl being forced to sex-slavery. Either it's by force, or just so she can get money to support herself or her family. What if it was your sister? What if it was your best friend? What if it was your daughter? Or, what if it was you? But it's not just one girl, though that in itself would be pretty terrible. It is litterallymillions of girls going through this. I mean, can you even imagine being raped 2-8 times a day by a stranger? That just disgusts me and really bothers me.


But this post isn't necessarily about stopping sex slavery around the world, though that is important. I want to tell you what I thought when I first read about these girls. My first thought was, I am an extremely selfish person. Just think, all around the world people are dying, starving, being forced into all types of slavery, hurting, lonely, being persecuted for their faith in Christ, but most importantly, desperately needing a Savior. These are real people. Not just statistics or a story you hear about in the paper and think, "How awful," and just don't even give it a second thought. While all this is going on everywhere else, I am focused on me. What makes me happy, what I can get out of life, what will give me pleasure or attention, my own stupid, vain high school drama.....pretty much I am the center. That's so wrong and messed up! I'm not on this earth to serve myself! I'm not here for my own pleasure and happiness. I am here to glorify God with my whole heart and life, and part of that is ministering to others and spreading the Gospel. My next thought, was, okay, so the world has issues. People need to be reached out to. But I am only fourteen, what can I do? These girls are only fourteen! Maybe I am not able to go be a missionary in North Korea, (lately, that's where I have a hugeee longing to go and witness at, thought it might be a very tough field) or help every girl who is forced into slavery, there is something I can do. I can pray. I can spread the Word right here. People here need Christ just as badly as the people in Africa, or North Korea, or Brazil. I can help raise money for organizations that help stop slavery, or support missionaries, or so much more. I just have to take the initiative and actually do it.

I want to do something really big and crazy now. I want God to work through me, so I can reach out to others. It has to start right here, but I want God's will to take me to places I would never go without Him, and minister and witness to more people than I ever thought I would. I want to help make a difference in the world. And I want you girls in Bible study to help me. Tomorrow, I'm going to talk about this more in Bible study, and together, I want us to come up with something we want to support, raise money for, and pray for and decide how we are going to do it.

With all of that being said, be praying for the S.O.S. girls and everyone else who is glorifying God by helping and encouraging and witnessing to others. Think of what you can do to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment